Saturday 13 April 2013

From under my cloud



I blame repatriation. The other night someone linked to one of my old posts and let me know that they had and given the occasional oddness of my post titles I decided to go back and look at it to see what it was actually about. Not long after I finished laughing at my own jokes I ended up on one of the posts about repatriation shock ('We're not in Karlsruhe anymore, Toto'), read over it and swiftly decided that everything that has been wrong with my life in the past few months can easily be blamed on the horrors of repatriating.

You see I've been a bit miserable, and frankly quite negative about how terrific it is to be back in the UK. And rather than having a positive outlook and making attempts to be proactive in getting out from under my dark cloud, I've decided to pin all of the following on a nice handy excuse - repatriation shock.

1. I barely blog anymore because there's nothing worth blogging about here. Yes, I sound like a teenager - everything sucks.
2. I have taken only a handful of photos because there's nothing worth photographing here. See the beautiful Peak District above brought down by my dark mood in February. And very little has changed since then except I'd probably add a few more "blah's"
3. I am bored of everything. Seriously, everything. Even going to M&S Food and discovering there are no big queues fails to stir me into a sunny mood. And that's just WRONG.
4. I can only just find it in myself to lie to people I meet who ask how things are, and are waiting to hear that it's really, really brilliant to be back.
5. I am taking comfort in my new found addiction to some of the totally crappiest programmes currently being shown on daytime ITV2. Not even ITV, I like a heavy dose of depressing gambling adverts thrown into my programming schedule.
6. While I feel that my friends *don't understand me*, they eerily have nailed the fact that I would enjoy everything a lot more if there were Bratwurst involved.

It's not that I feel so much like a fish out of water, or that everything has changed very much, but when I look back at the list I've copied below, I can't help but feel it resonating as a subconscious menu of moods and feelings that I work my way though in a Pick & Mix style every day.

Some common symptoms or situations that repatriating families encounter*:
  • irritability/ resentment
  • sense of difference and disconnect
  • disappointment
  • inability to concentrate
  • low morale
  • change in values/attitudes
  • marital conflict
  • fatigue
  • parent/child conflict
  • educational/adjustment problems for children
  • depression
  • feeling unappreciated personally/professionally
  • decreased productivity
  • loneliness
*Source: 'Reverse Culture Shock (or Why Do I Hate Being Back Home?)' by International HR Forum


As much as I would have liked to have given myself a good kick and told myself to just get over it already, I have to admit it's been a struggle. But I feel like I am starting to emerge at last. Things are on the up! Change is afoot! I may still find the time to enjoy some parent/child conflict, but my mood is definitely improving. Even I can laugh at the fact that while the only thing the kids new school is criticised for is the lack of kids attending from other cultures, I have managed to become friends with the only foreigner at the school, who, eh, just so happens to be ... um... German.

10 comments:

  1. But despite everything, your blog post is as funny as they always are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I just need to find more funny things to blog about!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are emerging from the repatriation shock, but I am also a big fan of allowing myself to wallow a bit too. Although I am sure if you really tried you could find a shop with large queues and indifferent customer service...

    I love that you have linked up with the 'foreign' Mum at school too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful that if I can only just find a really long queue I'll begin to feel like I've finally come home.

      And yes, isn't it ridiculous that true to 'repatriate' form I come back and hunt out the only German in the village? Ha, ha!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I really like your article. I will keep coming here, Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi great post, the points you mentioned in here are very true..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I know this is a very old post, but I am visiting all my old friends after finally coming back to blogging and while I resolved not to comment on very old posts, you did touch me. I also "came back home" after seven years to find there was no home and it was very difficult. I'd love to see an update on this - how are you feeling about it all now?
    I hope you are happier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The PDF format additionally retains the knowledge or the content material intact and safe. It equips the person with extremely superior set of security measures. On account of all these and plenty of extra helpful attributes the PDF Paperwork are popularly used throughout the globe. If you want to learn more about this topic please visit onlineconvert

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to this post! Repatriation can indeed be a rollercoaster of emotions, and your candid take on blaming it for life's ups and downs made me chuckle. It's refreshing to find humor in the challenges of returning home. Looking forward to more of your witty insights!
    Please keep me update @
    Name :- Machine Tanning
    Website:- https://plushtan.ae/

    ReplyDelete

You're not going to leave without saying something, are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...