Sunday 6 May 2012

Lego: that's what little boys are made of.

.

Wannsee: That's a lot further out than I thought. Especially when I don't follow the satnav correctly. Orla had a party to go to today. She's going to be one of these women who has to start getting ready at lunch time for a night out. I know this as she had me laying all her potential party clothes out on her bed at 7am this morning so she could properly consider what she wanted to wear. The party wasn't starting until 2pm. And even with all this outfit deliberating, she still seems to have inherited my 'last minute' gene, and ate her lunch naked. 

Hamish, struggles with the whole party scene. Only because he can't deal with not being invited. So, I said that he could choose something to do with me and the other person with nae social life in this house, and thus, I spent another 4 hours of my life wanting to kill myself in the Legoland Discovery Centre, Berlin. It's a bad day when I hear myself saying "Are you sure you wouldn't rather go swimming?" given my deep-seated hatred of swimming pools. It's not that Legoland isn't great, it is, and I would highly recommend a visit to anyone coming to Berlin with kids. But I feel like I have been there 1 billion times now. I only look forward to the 4D cinema because it means I can have a 10 minute nap behind the 3D specs while Clutch Powers sprays water in my face from time to time, reminding me not to snore.

Anyway, today I realised something as I sat trying to file my nails with a Technics block. Lego is the perfect gift for grown men. And Legoland is the perfect place to take your husband/boyfriend on a date. Let me present the evidence:

Exhibit 1: Daddy 'helps' build a car while son gets to watch.

Exhibit 2: Father builds car while toddler son is playing with the Duplo shaking tables.

Exhibit 3: White-capped man tries to concentrate while wife wonders aloud if Legoland can be cited as grounds for divorce.


Exhibit 4: Man sits frustratedly while boy makes a hash of it.


And it seems a lifelong love of Lego starts with a head first dive into a barrel of the stuff.

10 comments:

  1. Haha... one of my students was laughing at this exact thing the other day. Apparently if you go to the Lego store here in Nürnberg they have a large replica of some Star Wars or Star Trek ship, and there are far more big boys than little boys gathered around it 'oohing and ahhing'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lego must be totally aware of who it is that *really* likes Lego because Star Wars is really more the era of the 30+ child!

      I have to admit, if it wasn't so expensive I would like ALL of their architecture range ... and the Harry Potter triple decker bus, and that lighthouse with the light bricks at the top. So if Santa is reading....

      Delete
    2. They have a Harry Potter triple decker bus?? I know what my sister is getting for Christmas...

      Delete
    3. Woah, woah, woah, I'll be your sister! Have you seen it yet? http://shop.lego.com/en-DE/The-Knight-Bus-4866 - it's *only* Euro 39.99

      Delete
  2. I hear you loud and clear about Legoland. It is only May, and I am already over it this season. It does not bode well....
    And when we were last in the discovery center DH actually jumped in the air and screamed 'yeeees' when his Lego car beat Sofie (age 6) and Emily's (age 5) Lego cars. Such quality parenting moments make the cost of a season ticket seem like a bargain.
    Let me know when Steve is next free, and we can set up a big boys play date for him and my DH to go to Legoland together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, yes! I have seen a lot of dads cheering when they beat their kids. Or standing at the end of the ramp trying to catch the car as it leaps off the end while the kid wants it to land with a crash and break into a 100 pieces. And the play date sounds perfect!

      Delete
  3. I have actually never been to Legoland here simply because of the extortionate prices but I will at some point I'm sure. I actually love to play with Lego, does that make me a big boy?!!! Hmmm will have to think about that ha ha. Those pics did make me laugh ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think given the amount of use my Jahreskarte has had, I am down to a cost of about 1.50 euro per visit - they have a deal online where you can get a discount on both day tickets (7 euros instead of 16 euros) and on the Jahreskarte which is 32 euros, instead of 40. I also have a deal with my Jahreskarte where I can get another child in free if you fancy coming with us sometime?? Though it probably is better if we leave it a while as they have ripped out a whole section which they are replacing with a new Ninjago bit.

      Delete
    2. Oops... forgot the link I found:
      http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.de/berlin/de/tickets-and-offers/tickets-and-prices.htm

      Delete
  4. Brilliant. I'm totally convinced that the only reason B keeps buying my nephew Lego for Christmas is so that he can build it himself. Doesn't work quite the same way with my niece/his goddaughter and the unicorn handbag.

    ReplyDelete

You're not going to leave without saying something, are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...