Sunday 20 May 2012

Le déjeuner sur l'herbe (Berlin-style)



We arranged to meet friends today at Teufelsee, a small lake in the Grunewald not awfully far from Orla's school. We'd heard of it before, but had never been. We were meeting to have a bit of a picnic and a chat. It came as a surprise to me to find out that it was a bit of a nudist area. I say "a bit" because in fact it's more 'anything goes'. A mixed bag of people wearing clothes, people wearing bathing costumes, people wearing just a hat, and people wearing hee-haw. I guess I assumed at these beaches it was either naked or not naked. But even within groups there were different levels of undress. It reminded me all of that Manet painting, 'Le déjeuner sur l'herbe'. Manet would have loved it. There was loads to see here. See what I mean? It's like the Manet painting!


I saw a naked dwarf, Stevie saw a tattooed penis, and as much as I might like to be as ok about nudity as the Germans, I just can't feel comfortable seeing a (possibly) 8 year old naked boy walking a toy giraffe up his grandmother's naked body while she lies back talking to her daughter. Not while I am eating my lunch at any rate.


We also saw a photoshoot when we wandered round to the sand dunes. It was great. An interesting day and a different side to Berlin to experience. And look at that sky! Bright blue, not a cloud, and the sun beating down.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You're not going to leave without saying something, are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...