Tuesday 12 April 2011

Falling in [camera] love all over again





Just look at that zoom! I'm in love! I've been after a zoom lens for my camera for about a year now, and at last Stevie has got bored of me going on about it and finally surrendered the cash. Happy Birthday indeed to me! I am over the moon.


When I got home with it last night, I couldn't wait to try it out. I thought about going out a little walk and seeing what it could do, but what does it say that I stayed in and tried to photograph in the neighbours windows in the furthest away apartments across the courtyard? Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and tell Stevie what I really want for Christmas are some night vision binoculars.


I remember reading 'In Your Own Words' a few years ago, which are short tales of no more than 600 words by readers of the Telegraph. One of my favourites was of a couple who lived near a bridge over a huge drop favoured by people committing suicide. After getting over the initial horror of what was occurring in the vicinity of their home they ended up with a pair of binoculars each. Sounds a bit gruesome, but I can remember thinking I would probably do exactly the same.


Anyway, digression aside, I went off to Mitte today to do a little belated birthday shopping for my neice, Lola. Of course I took my camera and lovely new lens and took lots of photos of the Fernsehturm (which I love) and the Brandenburg Gate, and various beautiful buildings along Unter den Linden. They look almost black & white, but this morning the weather was just utterly grim and grey. Anyway, I was thoroughly excited by my new lens and just how 'zoomy' it is! I really must try harder though to learn how to use my camera properly, and why is it, now I have the lens I've been after for a whole year, that I now find myself suddenly having fresh desires for a lovely little macro lens?




(P.S. Please don't use my photos without asking)

10 comments:

  1. Lovely lens. What's the length? 300?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 55-300. I just wish we had better weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm vacillating over getting one myself in NY next month. I have an 18-200, but I'd really love that length.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've been going back & forth on it for over a year. Not that I haven't wanted it, but that there's a possibility I might want to switch camps to Canon at some point. But I love it. I love this zoom. I mean, look how close the Fernsehturm is! It just blows me away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a Nikon! Then which one? Because I am Nikon too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fiona, nice close shots! Juuuhuuu for you!
    Enjoy getting to know your new lens and peeping in on your unsuspecting neighbors. That cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm 1:4.5 - 5.6G. I got it in Saturn. They have a more expensive one but it's for more professional cameras. And I'm using a D3000.

    And thanks TJ, I will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on Team Canon. I feel a bit left out. Having said that, I don't know how to work mine either so I'm in that team too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a Venn diagram. Shall we add a circle of Knorr chicken stock cube users?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll look at that lens in NY next month- I always get my lenses in the States because it's so much cheaper.
    I don't use Knorr, because all the products I see have MSG/MNG: I use HerbOx Bouillion cubes:-).Any other interesting intersectionalities? Mac/PC or both? Firefox/Chrome/IE?

    ReplyDelete

You're not going to leave without saying something, are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...